2014 Ensemble Competition
The CGSV members' 2014 ensemble guitar competition will be held on Sunday 26th October 2014, 1pm to 6pm at St Bart's Anglican Parish, 290 Burnley Street, Richmond, 3121.
The competition is open to ensembles with at least one CGSV member, regardless of age or qualifications as follows:
1. Each entrant can only play in one ensemble.
2. Ensembles must have at least one "guitar family" instrument - standard, requinto, bass, baritone, alto, octave.
3. Other instruments are permitted.
4. Each ensemble can play 1 or 2 pieces to a maximum of 15 minutes.
5. There is no set list of pieces.
6. Entries must be "self classified" into one of the following categories "introductory", "intermediate" or "advanced" reflecting the difficulty of the music and the competency of the ensemble.
Prizes will be awarded for categories and specific themes, such as:
- Best performance overall. $500 cash.
- Best performance of an Australian work. $250 cash.
- Best "guitar only" ensemble - standard guitar, requinto, baritone, bass, octave. $100 Cash.
- Best performance etiquette - attire, introduction, poise, audience engagement and acknowledgement. $50 Voucher, Hans Music Spot
Adjudicators: Professor John Griffiths. www.conservatorium.unimelb.edu.au/staff/johngriffiths. Performance will be judged along the lines of a music practical examination, taking into account factors such as accuracy, tempo, phrasing, interpretation, dynamics and etiquette.
- $10 per CGSV member; $20 per non-member. Each ensemble member must pay an entry fee.
- An entry form - 2014 Ensemble Competition Entry - must be fully completed and submitted and all fees paid by 31/8/14.
- CGSV can decline an entry or request a change in piece selection prior to acceptance.
- The acceptance of an entry into any category for the purposes of awarding prizes is at the discretion of CGSV and/or the judges on competition day.
- The judge(s) decisions in all competition matters is final and not negotiable.
- Relationships with adjudicators, eg teacher-student, will not preclude entry. Please declare any relationships on the day for transparency.
- Sheet music must be available for judges to follow during performance.
2013 Ensemble Competition Results
CGSV's 2013 Ensemble Competition was held on Saturday 19th October. John Griffiths adjudicated, wrote comprehensive notes for each ensemble and gave them tips and advice after the award presentations.
Congratulations to prize winners:
- Best performance overall. ZAM Duo - Ziggy and Miles Johnston.
- Best performance of an Australian work. Michael MacManus and Kim Falconer (flute).
- Best "guitar only" ensemble, ie with only "guitar family" instruments. DADA quartet - Deniz Kaplan, Andrea Guterres, David Jones and Alex Velasco-Svoboda.
- Best performance etiquette - attire, introduction, poise, audience engagement and acknowledgement. Strathmore Quartet - Lucan Moloney, Julian Rotin, Joseph Pringipas, Xavier Livingston.
2012 Ensemble Competition Results
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." Plato
Adjudicators: Ben Dix and Jeremy Tottenham (members of Melbourne Guitar Quartet).
The performances were musically mature and outstanding. Making a decision was tough. Expressions were nuanced and subtle. Great technical ability of the performers, consideration of the tonal qualities and dynamic range contributed to very polished performances. It was an honour to be here. The playing was inspiring and a stimulus to go home and pick up the guitar. There is some good teaching occurring.
Aife Larkin and Robyn Gibson performing "Spiral Ellipse" and "Romanza" by Richard Charlton
Second place: Miles and Ziggy Johnston performing "Sonatina Caotica" by Maximo Diego Pujol
First place: Julia Bakowski, Olivia Hally and Kim Falconer performing "The Riddle" by Piotr Nowotnik